Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog has a very loose stool with some blood in it, is

My dog has a very loose stool with some blood in it, is there anything I can give her until I can get her to her vet?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Pepper and she is3 years old
JA: How old is Pepper?
Customer: 3
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Pepper?
Customer: No

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- Any vomiting?

2- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

4- Is she on any medications?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
She is normally vert healthy, full of energy, slightly over weight, but other than that healthy, no vomiting still playful is just her stool, and yes she may have gotten some of mt granddaughter easter candy, i dont know if tyhere were chocolates in them.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I meant very healthy

Please give me 5 minutes, I am typing your answer. Thank you.

I am sorry that you are having this problem with your dog. When we see blood with diarrhea this is a sign of inflammation in the large intestines (colon). Can it be caused by dietary indiscretion like eating candy from your granddaughter? Yes. Other possible causes are ingestion of a foreign body, infections, or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. You see, stopping diarrhea with medication can make things worse if this is related to an infection or ingestion of a foreign body. In addition, Pepto Bismol can make the bleeding worse.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours, need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer a small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean her back into her regular diet.

3- Supplement with a probiotic, these are friendly bacteria that help with regularity and inflammation. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you Dr. We will do that, she will see the vet tomorrow as well!

Great!

You're welcome. :)

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter