Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

High fever, 104, vet thinks my shilo shepherd has swollen

Customer Question

High fever, 104, vet thinks my shilo shepherd has swollen liver & spleen. I gave him boiled chicken which he ate but he's drinking lot of water. Having trouble having bowel movement but he's not eating much. He is 7 yrs old & 90lbs.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the chicken will be able to digest that. What is the chicken's name?
Customer: No. I'm feeding my dog chicken. Bland diet
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your chicken?
Customer: It's a German long haired shepherd I have
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now I am very sorry to hear that your lad has a possible infectious or inflammatory issue involving the liver and spleen. Now hopefully he is on antibiotics for that; but if he is struggling to pass stool and has a poor appetite; then we do need to be proactive.

First, if his fever is lingering, you may want to speak to his vet about treating with an injectable anti-inflammatory to reduce that. Furthermore, since nausea is suspect with liver issues, you could also have them use a strong anti-nausea option +/- appetite stimulant to see if we can motivate his appetite. Or at the very least, an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac) could be tried for him.

Otherwise, if he is struggling to pass stool (though he likely will have less to pass if his appetite is down and he is on a bland diet), then we can try some supportive care for that. In regards ***** ***** options, you can start by offering some milk. We do find that milk can be helpful at getting things moving along if a dog has mild constipation. As well, cat hairball medication (ie. Catalax, Laxatone, etc) can be used to get things moving. This is available from the vet or the pet shop. It works to lubricate the gut and can facilitate the movement of hard feces out of the rectum.

Alternatively, you can administer a small volume of Miralax (1 tsp per 24 hours), lactulose or mineral oil orally. If he is eating, these can be mixed into his food. If you have to administer via syringe, do take care to avoid aspiration ( since that would cause problems we'd best avoid). Again as GI lubricants, they can just get things moving with more regularity.

Furthermore, you can also add or syringe feed canned pumpkin to himl. Just like people, these can restore fecal output regularity. I would offer these with wet food to ease him eating of it, while making sure we are getting water into him (as canned food is 35% water). I would also advise encouraging him to drink as constipation can be complicated by dehydration. Make sure that he has fresh water and you can even offer lactose free milk or low salt chicken broth if he won’t drink. But again we may need to have his vet start those other treatments if these signs are lingering for your lad.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.