PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

Over the last few weeks he's needed to pee much earlier than

Customer Question

Over the last few weeks he's needed to pee much earlier than he used In the past he doesn't ask to go out until 11am now he's desperate to get out each day at 5am. he's shaking a lot like he's nervous about something or like he's been bad and he's licking his lips a lot. Looks awkward, he had an op so I put it down to that but that was 9 weeks away and on his elbow and he's not had mess for 7 weeks now as he was being a bit sick and off his food then so I stopped them. He's also been sick every other day or so for a few weeks. The peeing and nerves is fairly new tho.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Sorry , he's a Labrador
JA: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?
Customer: When I said mess I meant medicine
JA: Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the's name?
Customer: Yes, my dog
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: Just that early in the mornings he just can't seem to settle after being out
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) How old is your companion?
2) When was bloodwork last run?
3) What medications were prescribed at the time of surgery?
4) Is he on any medications now?
5) Any history of illness or injury?
6) How are his eating and drinking habits?
7) When you say he's been "sick every other day", what are you seeing?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
1.He is going to be 6 years old in July
2. He had some bloodwork done about 8 months ago when he had the hormone implant and he had signs of a slow thyroid which improve as the hormone implant wore off.
3. He was just given Cymalgex and had then for 2 weeks. He was being sick occasionally so I stopped giving him them.
4. He is not on any meds just now, just Youmove and Omega 3
5. He had an operation on his elbow to remove a hairline fracture about 9 weeks ago
6. He's never been a big eater and sometime refuses meals, this morning he was sick and then wouldn't eat even tho I put out chicken and rice, he didn't want roast beef either which is very unusual. I have noticed that he seems so be drinking more at the moment.
7. Sometimes when he's sick it's just a lot of fluid and grass, other times if he's eaten it's undigested food.He's shaky like he's done something wrong. My dog day care lady thinks it might be linked to his hormones as he's a full male and very full on with it. She said this morning that it can cause some stress/distress when they have too much pent up testosterone?! He is a nightmare with other dogs at the moment and constantly follows them round to hump them. Do you think this could be linked?

It would be worthwhile to have update bloodwork performed as well as a urinalysis. It's not uncommon for us to see that conditions like a urinary tract infection, diabetes, kidney disease, liver disease, prostate issues, Cushing's disease, etc. causing an increase in the need to urinate and, as well, an increase in fluid consumption. We can also see shaking with development of illness which can indicate anything from discomfort to anxiety. Being whole without the option to breed can cause anxiety in males, but I don't think that is what he's experiencing (at least not exclusively). If he's not going to be used for breeding, you may wish to have him altered so he's not exhibiting signs of aggression, sexual frustration, etc. The humping behavior may be sexually-connected or could also simply be due to dominance.

In the interim, I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better. However, if you do not see a marked improvement from your pet or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian.

It often helps to give something to calm the stomach and a bland diet with higher fiber. This can help to reduce the instance of nausea/vomiting, avoid or address changes in the stool, help to move ingested items through the GI tract, etc.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. For pets avoiding taking medication readily, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid more nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of the GI upset. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats.

I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating.

I will also check in with you over the next few days for updates on your companion to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. Letting me know how your companion is doing would be greatly appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is our companion doing today?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy