How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Scott Nimmo Your Own Question
Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 19968
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr Scott Nimmo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Our dog had a little bit of a chocolate candy with mostly

Customer Question

Hello. Our dog had a little bit of a chocolate candy with mostly peanut butter. Ever since she isn't doing a ton of activity. Sleepy. Any sugestions on what to do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bella and 15 months old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bella?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 month ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 month ago.

But before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me, so could you please answer the following :

1. How long ago did this happen { How many minutes or hours ago } ?
2. How much does your dog weigh { In pounds } ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
About an hour ago. About 11 pounds
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 month ago.

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

If this was only a small amount of chocolate then I would not be too concerned, also peanut butter is non toxic to dogs, so really all you need do for now is just to keep an eye on Bella, the chances are she will be just fine. Of course if she deteriorates or you become further concerned then have her checked over by your local vet, but this would be unlikely.

I say the above because ...

1. The rule of thumb which I apply is that with milk chocolate mild signs of toxicity can occur when 0.7 ounces per pound of body weight is ingested. Severe signs occur when 2 ounces per pound of body weight is swallowed. If you estimate your dog's weight as being in the region of 11 lb then you can see that your dog would have to swallow around 7.7 ozs { close to half a pound } of pure milk chocolate before any symptoms would even start to occur.

2. I am telling you the following just for your information as your dog ate so little you need not do anything and need not be concerned.The symptoms of chocolate poisoning would include vomiting and diarrhoea as well as frequent urination, and restlessness in the early stages. This can then progress to cardiac dysfunction, tremors and fits. Of course you should call your vet without delay if any symptoms appear.Having said that most dogs with chocolate poisoning will recover within 24 to 48 hours, particularly if serious symptoms do not occur. There is no specific treatment for chocolate poisoning only symptomatic treatment.

3. Here is a link to a very accurate article on chocolate toxicity in the dog, follow this and you can check the accuracy of my advice and read more on the subject : LINK

But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me in the extremely unlikely event that Bella's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 month ago.

Sorry about the formatting, hopefully it is more readable now ...

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 month ago.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Bella is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the chocolate candy ingestion ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 month ago.
Hi,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr Scott Nimmo