How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Peter Your Own Question
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 29531
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Peter is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog ate my daughter's Easter chocolate, Stormy and he is

This answer was rated:

My dog ate my daughter's Easter chocolate
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your daughter's dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Stormy and he is 1 and 4 mths
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Stormy?
Customer: Other than that he is a healthy dog and fully vaccinated

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- How long has it been since he ate the chocolate?

2- What type of chocolate (dark, milk, etc.)?

3- How much does he weigh?

4- How many ounces did he eat?

5- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Maybe 15 minutes ago
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Milk chocolate

2- What type of chocolate (dark, milk, etc.)?

3- How much does he weigh?

4- How many ounces did he eat?

5- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
He weighs 78 lbd
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
He ate 3.75 oz of milk chocolate
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
No proxcide but can get it

Friend, 3.75 oz of milk chocolate will not be life-threatening or systemically toxic to a 78 lbs dog, he may develop mild vomiting or diarrhea otherwise he will be fine. No need to make him vomit with peroxide. I would keep an eye on him if he vomits or develops diarrhea this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- If he continues to vomit after doing the above he will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination. Symptoms that would require an ER vet visit are abdominal swelling, pale gums, hyperactivity or profound lethargy, muscle tremors, etc.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you so much. We love our pup..our daughter left it on the floor and we didn't catch it till it was too late

He is going to be fine. :)

You're welcome. :)

Dr. Peter and other Dog Veterinary Specialists are ready to help you