Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 25.5 lbs 1.3 yo just ate 2/3 of the bowl portion of a

Customer Question

My king Charles 25.5 lbs 1.3 yo just ate 2/3 of the bowl portion of a plastic spoon??? Gave white rice should I give her something else?? Help please as I can not contact anyone near by till the am...it just happened 820 pm est. Thx Doc
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 8 days ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again,

I have very quickly worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Given this has just happened you may want to try and induce vomiting to recover this object. If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion then this may be possible. For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK

{ Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs }

2. However even if you do not manage to induce vomiting then things may well be OK since your dog may be able to pass this size of object without too much problem. However if you are not going to induce vomiting then feed your dog quite a few slices of bread or some mashed potato ASAP to try and cushion the any sharp plastic edge as it passes along your dog's intestinal tract, this can be very effective

3. However be aware that though unlikely there is a potential for a problem to occur here. So if you do not manage to induce vomiting then you should monitor your dog carefully for symptoms such as vomiting, lethargy, anorexia, abdominal pain or straining and if any such occur contact your vet without delay. The danger of course is that this objects could cause alimentary tract obstruction or damage which would potentially be a very serious situation.

4. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your King Charles's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 7 days ago.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your King Charles is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the plastic spoon issue ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott