How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Peter Your Own Question
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 29783
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Peter is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

3 month old puppy has just eaten a bit of chocolate easter

Customer Question

3 month old puppy has just eaten a bit of chocolate easter egg. Is this really dangerous and what should I do
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Ross
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ross?
Customer: No symptoms
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

1- How much does your puppy weigh?

2- Type of chocolate (milk, dark, etc.)?

3- How long has it been since he ate it?

4- Can you give me an idea of how many ounces or grams did he eat?

5- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
3kg milk chocolate about an hour about half a small egg hidden by my grandchildren on an easter egg hunt which was not found. no hydrogen peroxide
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

To make sure I got this right, the amount of chocolate was like the size of a regular egg?

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry I can not make a call, but, I will be glad to answer your question on this thread. Can you tell me if the chocolate was the size of a regular egg?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the size of a regular egg and he ate a small half
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

I will assume it was hollow, correct?

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Friend, in response to your question, yes, chocolate is toxic to dogs. Toxicity will depend on the amount consumed, type of chocolate, and the weight of the dog. In a 3kg dog, anything above 2 ounces of milk chocolate can be life threatening. I doubt that half of an egg would have 2 ounces, so you can expect some gastrointestinal symptoms like vomiting and diarrhea but not likely to be fatal or cause any life-threatening symptoms. As a precaution, I would keep an eye on Ross for the next 24 hours, symptoms that would require an ER vet visit are hyperactivity or profound lethargy, muscle tremors, difficulty breathing, etc. If no symptoms after 24 hours unlikely for any symptoms to develop.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter