Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian at Kingsland Blvd Animal Clinic
94981754

I have a 7 month old male GSD, who was has backed off on

Customer Question

I have a 7 month old male GSD, who was has backed off on eating lately. He hasn't eaten since 5:00 p.m. yesterday. I have the usual kibbles Taste of the Wild Puppy, and a scrambled egg, along with a tsp of raw ground sirloin, and a 2 tbsp. of a rice and ground beef cooked mixture. He ate yesterday around noon, and just seems to be slacking off on eating. He is drinking water, and his bowel movement looked fined which was about a couple of hours ago. I took him for a nice walk and he is sleeping now. Not sure if this is just normal because he has had a hearty appetite up until a few days ago.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the puppy will be able to digest that. What is the puppy's name?
Customer: Klaus
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Klaus?
Customer: He was visiting a friend of ours and for 2 days the dogs were quite active. I am not sure if my puppy is over tired from playing with a 3 year old dog
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Meghan Denney replied 2 months ago.

Hi I am Dr. Denney. I am Currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question.

I would avoid the raw food for now since it sounds like his upper gastrointestinal tract is inflamed. How do his gums looks and feel? Is Klaus drinking water?

any chance he could have swallowed something he was not supposed to like a sock, toy etc?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
gums look good and he is drinking water

We can try giving him some oral antacid (Pepsid plain). What is his approximate weight?

Then to make sure his electrolytes are ok we can add in chicken broth to his water.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
he chewed on a whole Bully stick yesterday...I just remembered...Hi gums are pink

Did he swallow it?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
he chewed it down to nothing
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I took the last piece away from him so that he didn't swallow it

Thats good. Puppies can eat things which can cause blockages and require possible surgery or hospitalization to get them to pass it.

How much does he weigh approximately so I can get you a Pepsid (over the counter antacid) to try with Klaus.

Hopefully this is just some mild tummy upset from something he ingested.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
His nose is cold and wet...he weighs about 75 lbs

So we can give him 30 mg of Pepsid (generic drug name is ***** ***** you can find it at any drug store over the counter) he can have another dose in 12 hours (tonight) then I would just offer boiled chicken and rice tonight in a small amount.

If Klaus is not eating by tomorrow morning we will need to get him examined by your regular veterinarian to get this figured out

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
okay thanks

Let me know how he does. If he develops any vomiting today or tonight then I would go ahead and get him an appointment for tomorrow

If this was helpful I would be most appreciative if you could take the time to rate my assistance so the site will credit me with helping you.

I am also here for additional questions you may have just reach out to me here and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Kind regards,

Dr. Meghan Denney