Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I wondering if someone could look at the for on my 4yr old

Customer Question

I wondering if someone could look at the for on my 4yr old boxer. It seems that she is getting bald spot. I used a non shedding shampoo that seemed to help
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the boxer's name and age?
Customer: No flea medication. She is 4 And her name is anja (soft j)
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about anja?
Customer: Hmm she is healthy. She and her older sister are kept indoors during the day whole we are at work. We try to let them outside to get some sun
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 8 days ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Can you upload a photo(s) of this spot to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/

I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
20170417_110803

Thank you. Give me a moment to take a look, please...

The photos suggest pattern alopecia (seasonal flank alopecia, cyclic flank alopecia, cyclic follicular dysplasia) common in bulldogs, boxers, airedales and schnauzers. The exact cause isn't known but photoperiod control of melatonin and prolactin secretion may be involved. The onset of alopecia in the northern hemisphere usually occurs between November and March. Most dogs regrow their hair spontaneously 3-8 months later. Episodes of hair loss may occur sporadically only once or twice, or regularly each year. With repeated episodes, a progressive increase in the amount and duration of hair loss may be seen.

Observation without treatment is reasonable because this disease is purely cosmetic and affected dogs are otherwise healthy. Treatment with melatonin may be effective. Protocols include melatonin at 3-12 mg/dog every 12-24 hours for 3 months and several weeks before the onset of the next expected occurrence. The prognosis for hair regrowth is variable. Regrowth may be incomplete and new hairs may be duller in color and drier in texture.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you Dr Mike. So i should get some melatonin and give her the suggested amount above for three weeks
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Cause me 3 months

You're welcome. Give it a try. Melatonin is safe and completely nontoxic in dogs. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?