Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Ear redness and i8 tried to help her by putting hydrogen

Customer Question

ear redness and i8 tried to help her by putting hydrogen peroxide , still no relief
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: boo is her name and she is 8
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about and?
Customer: no
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

I am sorry to hear about Boo's ear. Is there any discharge, or is is just red?

Hydrogen peroxide is irritating (that is why we use it to make dogs vomit) so that might actually make the redness worse. It does kill bacteria, if this is an infection, but won't help with redness/inflammation.

You could try some cortisone cream such as Cortaid or Cortisone 10; a little bit massaged into the red area once or twice daily.

Many times dogs have red ears because of an allergy, so Benadryl might help. How much does Boo weigh?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

I hope you were able to see my response; I have not heard back from you. How is Boo doing? Can I help with or answer anything else; was this helpful?