Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a 12lb Chihuahua. He has hurt himself and his body is

Customer Question

I have a 12lb Chihuahua. He has hurt himself and his body is in pain. Won't be lifted, can't go down steps, bites if I try to help him. Appetite fair. Won't pee or poop. Can I give him baby aspirin for pain?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Archie is 12 yrs old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Archie?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Since he has no appetite loss, then Aspirin can be tried to allay Archie's pain. Generally speaking, we'd give a 12lb dog, 60mg every 12 hours after food (to avoid causing GI upset or stomach ulcer). Of course, this shouldn't be given if he has any other health issues, is on any other medications, or if he could have been hurt with something that could cause internal bleeding (since aspirin is also a blood thinner) without seeing his vet. And if that were the case or the Aspirin wasn't strong enough to settle this for him, then we may need to pick him up (using a thick towel to protect yourself or by getting him onto a blanket so you can lift him in it without pressure) or have his vet do a home visit so we can get him onto something stronger.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.
Hi Sherri,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.