Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I was on vacation and my dog was at a friends house. They

I was on vacation and my dog was at a friends house. They were on a walk the night before I came home (yesturday). I picked up my dog Sunday afternoon and was told that my dog was in a fight with a stray dog on the walk. She has some bites but the concerm her front left leg. There is a big cut under her arm pit and she cannot put weight on the leg. I can't lift her to put her in the car, but she needs to be seen.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is Sunday bleeding a lot?
Customer: The cut is bleeding some but the fact (Nanny is her name), cann't walk on it makes me think it maybe fractured.
JA: How old is )?
Customer: 9 yrs old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about )?
Customer: No that is the biggest issue, she is drinking if I put the water & food in front of her but she won't go to it.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear what happened to Nanny. Since the dog that attacked her was unknown and gone now and not available to be checked, is Nanny current on her rabies vaccination?

Bite wounds almost always get infected and that can cause pain enough for the dog not to walk on the leg. A fracture is possible, but unlikely in a dog fight.

Nanny needs pain medication and antibiotics. She may need to have the wound flushed or drained. I agree she needs to be seen. Is there anyone who can help you get her in the car? If not, you could see if there is a house call veterinarian in your area.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will try to get her in the car myself and find a vet that will see her today. Thank you.

You are welcome. Please let me know how she is doing.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?