Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My Dog started to get Diarrhea 2 nights ago. I took away his

Customer Question

My Dog started to get Diarrhea 2 nights ago. I took away his food for the majority of the day yesterday, around 6Pm yesterday I gave him chicken and rice because he seemed to be doing better. But the diarrhea got bad again last night. Im not sure what to give him.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

What does the diarrhea look like?

Are his gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could he have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Since you gave Imodium, what dose and what is his weight?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The diarrhea started dark and thick, but now it had become a light brown liquid.
His gums are pink and moist.
He does not seem to be in pain when i press on his stomach.
He's was playing outside a good amount this week, where he could have gotten something, but otherwise anything harmful is out of reach.
He is about 60lbs and i gave him one tablet of Imodium which the box says is Loperamide HCI 2mg/ Simethicone 125mg
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He was around my mom's dog who had been sick early last week and was given a prescription for metronidazole
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you,

First, I am glad that he doesn't have those more severe signs I asked about and hopefully Bruce hasn't picked up anything harmful. Though we'd be wary that this may be due to a bacterial or viral gastroenteritis (our top concern if your mother's dog is unwell and especially as that antibiotic is usually used for lower GI infections), pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, IBD, GI cancer (a concern since he is older), or dietary indiscretion.

With this all in mind, you are right to use a light diet. Chicken/rice is fine, though I'd note that other protein options include boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. Whichever you use, do consider adding fiber (ie canned pumpkin) and OTC probiotics (ie Benebac, Fortiflora) can be added to these meals to firm those loose stools quicker and support digestion. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning slowly back to your normal diet.

As well, you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure for infectious issues; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, instead of the Loperamide (which only slows gut movement and doesnt' otherwise reduce diarrhea), we'd want to consider Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)). This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (all OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing his upset GI.

Overall, there are a wide range of agents could trigger the signs we are seeing but I suspect Bruce may have caught this from your mother's dog. So, you can try the above to better manage this for him; but if it lingers we'd want a check up +/- stool test as he too many need to be put on antibiotics by his local vet to nip this in the bud.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )