Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

He ate some of my blood pressure medication and some

Customer Question

He ate some of my blood pressure medication and some vitamin's​
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Ginger and almost a year old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ginger?
Customer: She is a dachshund about 24 pounds
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

What did she have specifically and what milligrams?

How long ago did she have these?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Enalapril 20 about two and a hctz 25
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
About 5 minutes ago
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Thank you,

Now both medications are used in dogs, so this isn't an outright poisoning and the Enalapril dose is actually in the normal range. Unfortunately, the HCTZ isn't and that could cause lethargy, weakness, increased thirst and urination for her.

Therefore, we have a few options. We can monitor her with a view to keeping water down and having her seen for fluids if she did become weak at all. Otherwise, since she just had these, we could induce vomiting for Ginger to get them back up. To induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorphine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

As well or alternatively, you can also consider administering activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Finally, after the above, we do want to try to address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled.

Overall, the HCTZ is an overdose for her size and we could see those above signs with what she had. So, we can monitor and have her seen if she were to get weak. Or we can use the above to get this up and/or block her absorption to avoid any signs for her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )