Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I noticed dark spot appearing less than a week ago on my

Customer Question

I noticed dark spot appearing less than a week ago on my dogs stomach near his groin. They look like moles or age spot but my dog is only 4. They are flat. He does have a small spot of dry peeling skin on his stomach but he hasn't been stratching but he has licked his paws once or twice. He is currently on trifextis because he does get fleas once in awhile
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Joey
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Joey?
Customer: No
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Are they on the skin or is more like discoloration of the skin?

Are they get larger?

Can you take a photo of this to let me see what you are seeing? To post a photo, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web link here for me to have a peek.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
https:[email protected]/shares/o0827L
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 days ago.

Hello again,

Now I wouldn't be overly worried about those pigmented regions for Joey. They don't look sinister like a melanoma would and instead just look like mild hyperpigmentation which is a natural occurrence from pigment being laid down in the tissue by melanocytes. So, as long as he isn't irritated with his skin (as that can cause dramatic hyperpigmentation), we'd need only keep an eye on those for him but not expect any issue.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I've read that fleas can cause dark spots as well. I've also read that fleas are more prone to "weaker" dogs. What can to do to help my dog become healthier so he isn't so prone to fleas?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 days ago.

Hi again,

Severe flea infestations can cause hyperpigmentation just as any skin irritation. Though with fleas it is due to the saliva getting into the skin, as it is a common dog allergen. Now in regards ***** ***** fleas its not really a case of weaker/stronger dogs. Any dog can contract them if in contact. So, really you just need to make sure he is on a good diet, possibly a vitamin supplement, and that he is on monthly flea treatment (a good quality spot on not a grocery store brand since those drugs tend to be old and more likely to be non-effective against the fleas) to protect him.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.