Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I believe my 4 year old Amstaff has mange... itching like

Customer Question

I believe my 4 year old Amstaff has mange... itching like crazy....been exposed to other dogs that and dingos that appear to have mange also. As I live in the Remote Outback I do not have access to a vet. What is the dosage of Ivermectin that I should give my dog and for how long. I have access to Ivermectin 4mg tablets.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Sorry?? the dog doesn't have fleas
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Erin Brown replied 1 month ago.

Hello. I would strongly suggest taking your dog to a veterinarian and having a skin scrape preformed. There are numerous reasons dogs can be itching. Fleas, staph infection, yeast infection, demodex mange, sarcoptic manage etc. If its sarcoptic manage, humans can acquire this. Also while ivermectin has been used to treat certain types of manage (demodex) it doesnt treat the other types and if your dog might have heartworms, too much ivermectin can kill the heartworms and inadvertently kill your dog. There are newer products for fleas and ticks on the market that actually treats manage as well. Dr. Erin Brown