Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

I have a miniature schanzer approx 10 to 11 years old. She

Customer Question

I have a miniature schanzer approx 10 to 11 years old. She was DX with Cushings 3 year ago, CHF 8 months ago has a grade 2 heart murmur, and liver disease 3 months ago. She is on lasix 12.5mg BID, Vasotec 5 mg BID, and just started Vetamind last week. She had a paracentesis last week and did well for several days. Now her abd has increased by one and a half inches, she is alert, but has polydipsia, decreased appetite, tires easily. Urine is clear amber, no vomiting, only 2 episodes of diarrhea. I will make a follow up appt this week. Will diet help? Do you think spirals tone would help. Is there increased risk with a repeat paracentesis? I love this little dog and I am not ready to give her up yet. Thank you
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear about sweet Moxie's many condtions....I am a schnauzer lover and know first hand how terrible this can be when we love them so much. This bloating you see is related to either the heart disease and/or the liver disease and this is hard to treat. Depending on whether this ascites, the fluid build up caused by heart disease and/or liver disease can be determined will tell your vet how best to treat Moxie. My fear, considering that she has multiple organ issues, is that there could eb a cancer lesion that is complicating her system. Your vet will need to run and MRI and Ultrasound to determine if treatment will help.

Diet will certainly help with liver disease adding Dennamarin and Hills L/D diet but heart disease will need to be treated with diuretics as well as a good heart medications such as vetmedin. Talk to your vet and consider taking sweet Moxie to a specialist since so many conditions are complicating her system and treatment must be related to all of these conditions.

I am sorry that I could not be more specific and my heart goes out to you and your family and your precious Moxie. Further diagnostics will help put all of this together so you will know what is best for your precious gal.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****