Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

The dog I just purchased from a dog rescue event yesterday

Customer Question

The dog I just purchased from a dog rescue event yesterday had spots of hair loss when I adopted him and it seemed like stress hair loss but now he started biting and scratching this evening. I think he has mange and I understand it's very contagious, I have another pet in the house and a kid. What should I do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bolt/Snow(previous name), 10-12 weeks
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about )?
Customer: He's also having very soft stools
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 2 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. Just ignore it. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be a longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

Where exactly on his body is he biting and scratching?

Where are the lesions of hair loss?