PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

I Have A Shi Tsu a year and half old. all was good until i

Customer Question

i Have A Shi Tsu a year and half old. all was good until i took him on friday to groomer, to shave his hair, since he started to have lots of knots since he came back, he is shivering, won't sleep except on a cover, hides all the time, chase his tails jumps chasing his tail, he would sit a bit then suddenly start going in circle! he is never like that, he is a cute, very mellow dog something is not right can you help
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Buddy A year and half
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Buddy?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Has a vet examined him since this time?

Does his skin appear normal?

Is he eating and drinking well?

Are stools normal?

Any scooting behavior?

Any chewing or licking?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
skin normal.i chase him to eat but he eats well.he is hiding all the time he never did that before. his stool is normal. he is digging constantly to sit but doesn't sit....it's like this is not the dog i use to have. he is licking his behind all the time and chasing. he will sit for a bit then suddenly jumps... and is constantly shivering. it is like he is being traumatized suddenly.

The behavior that he's exhibiting sounds like it's most likely linked to his anal glands. All suggest he's in some discomfort and unable to get comfortable enough to relax. It would be worthwhile to have his anal glands checked to be sure they were fully emptied when he was groomed. If not, they need to be emptied. There's also a risk that they could be inflamed, abscessed or impacted. If he were my dog, I would have this area examined by the skilled eyes of a veterinarian to determine the cause. Some groomers will also groom dogs without manually expressing the glands which increase the chance that they may cause problems for the pet in the future.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is Buddy doing?