Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

He just ate 1.5 oz of Lush Dream Cream, here are the

Customer Question

hello. he just ate 1.5 oz of Lush Dream Cream
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: here are the ingredients: http://www.lushusa.com/body/body-lotions/dream-cream/00031.html his name is***** almost 2
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Moose?
Customer: he's a lab. that's probably it
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long ago did he eat this?

How much does he weigh?

How is he just now?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hello, thank you.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He ate it probably 10 mins ago. He seems fine now.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He's about 100 lbs.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you,

Now we do need to act fast here. Most of the ingredients present in the Lush Dream Cream aren't worrisome and would only cause GI upset. But there is a concern with the tea tree oil. In small doses, it can cause vomiting and diarrhea; but in higher doses it can damage the liver.

Therefore, with that risk (especially as we don' t know how much is in this), we'd be safest to induce vomiting now. To do so at home, you can give 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). This can be administered via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. Afterwards, get your wee one walking about to get things mixing and moving in the stomach. This should usually leads to vomiting after a few minutes. If we don't see any vomit after 10 minutes then we can repeat this twice more. Though if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorphine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered to just get this out of the stomach and avoid any harm.

Otherwise or instead, you can also use OTC activated charcoal at this point. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas else we'd have to open a number of capsules to get a proper dose) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we want to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce this risk.

After the above, we'd want to address any potential GI upset for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can offer a light diet option. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Further to this, we can also use an OTC pet safe antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). This can be given 20 minutes before food to allow absorption and of course double check with your vet beforehand if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn't mention.

Overall most of this product is no worry and the above supportive care should counter it, but as there was tea tree oil in this and since he just had it we would be best to induce vomiting now to just get as much of this out as possible and avoid any harm.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you.!: )