Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My 65 pound dog has an external ear infection very red and

Customer Question

My 65 pound dog has an external ear infection very red and seems to be irritating her what can I give her over-the-counter to help with the pain
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Nelly and she six
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Nelly?
Customer: She's on Apoquel 16mg a day and has been on that for a week
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 4 months ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for asking your question and trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

I am so sorry to hear Nelly is experiencing this. Ultimately you are going to need to have her regular vet examine her and prescribe effective medication to treat this. I wish there was something easy you could instill in her ears over-the-counter to clear this, but there is not. It really does depend on if this is a bacterial or yeast infection; and dogs need something in the topical therapy to provide pain relief as well.

For pain relief we are very limited with dogs you canNOT give acetaminophen, ibuprofen or naproxen. You may give aspirin which should not interact with Apoquel at a dose of 10mg/kg every 12 hours (approximately 250mg) and make sure it's buffered. I am not an aspirin fan, though because it does not provide very good pain relief in dogs and there is a risk for stomach problems such as ulcers. But it is our only over-the-counter option. Your vet has better medications.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Should I clean her ears out
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
There is a lot of brown foul smelling stuff coming out
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 4 months ago.

It appears Dr. Joey opted out of your question. I can give you some basic guidelines but if there is no change or they worsen then please consult your veterinarian to begin stronger treatment such as topical antibiotics/ steroids and possibly even oral ones as well...

- Benadryl 1 mg/ pound every 8 hours to help with the itch and discomfort of an infection/ inflammatory response. May sedate mildly
- 75/25 Water to white vinegar solution with cotton balls to wipe the ears out every 1-2 days (no q tips!) and remove any debris and infection
- Take a moist towel and put it in the freezer and apply to the ear or side of the face for relief of discomfort
- If you have any previously prescribed pain medication for him then that can also provide relief as well or as Dr. Joey mentioned aspirin is the only safe over the counter option
- Please no over the counter ointments or salves which can put the tympanic membrane or inner ear at risk

I hope this makes sense and helps guide the treatment for your Nelly. If this is a moderate infection unfortunately it will require prescription topical medication to treat and hopefully allow this inflammation to resolve swiftly...

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I appreciate your answer and your answer was helpful but I wish it was yesterday when I got it because now I've paid money and had to take her to the vet anyway the answer that I got yesterday was pretty much common sense your answer would've been helpful yesterday but my dog into the vet today

I apologize, this question was just opened to other experts 15 minutes ago. Would you like me to send the question to customer service to resolve your grievances?