Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My dog ingested one 220 mg naproxen pill, Sunni 10 years

Customer Question

My dog ingested one 220 mg naproxen pill
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Sunni 10 years old.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sunni?
Customer: He had radiation for nasal tumor and currently on palladia, meta can, and hydrocodone/homa
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 months ago.

What does your dog weigh? I'll calculate the dose to see if it's in the toxic range.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
40 lbs
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What should I do?
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 months ago.

Ok, that's 18 kg.

That would be 12.2 mg/kg ingested. The dose that can lead to GI ulcers is 5 mg/kg. The dose needed to cause kidney failure is 10 mg/kg. At 12.2 mg/kg I would definitely treat aggressively to try to prevent kidney failure.

I'll type out the recommended treatment plan now.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 months ago.

1. Go to a 24 hour ER vet now

2. They will get an IV catheter in and start IV fluids. I keep fluids running for 72 hours in Aleve dogs as the drug has a very long half life in the body. It hangs out in the body for 2-3 days.

3. Give activated charcoal to bind any drug in the intestine or bile circulation

4. Monitor kidney enzymes. I take baseline samples, then recheck at 24, 48 and 72 hours.

As long as the values are normal at 48 and 72 hours, he can go home at that time. If there is any elevation in the enzymes, then I take it day to day from there.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 months ago.
Hi Olga,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?