PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My dog keeps falling. Her back legs seem to go out from

Customer Question

My dog keeps falling. Her back legs seem to go out from under her and sometimes her front legs seem to collapse. Her vet is out of town for a month and I do not think she can wait that long. She has always had bad joints: hip dysplasia and often a limp on her front legs. Is there anything I can do to help her until
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: rns.
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: She will be 12 this summer and she weighs about 90 lbs.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: She leeks urine and I give her Proin 50mg. Her name is*****: How old is Sally?
Customer: 12
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Does Sally exhibit this behavior on both carpeted/high traction surfaces just the same as slick/low traction surfaces?

2) Is she on any medication aside from proin?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have all hardwood floors in my house but I have several small rugs 3X5 for her to lay on. She does not get traction on the slick floors and that does exacerbate the situation. This afternoon I did have to help her get up from both hard surfaces and the small rugs. She also seems to start shaking just before she goes down.
The Proin is 100mgs a day and I also give her Glucosamine 1500 mg/day and fish oil. I ran out of Glucosamine a few months ago and just got her started back this week.
For the last 5 or more years she has had an insatiable thirst and I have to limit her to 120-150oz of water a day. I had her urine tested for Cushing's disease several years back and it came back negative.

Discontinuation of the glucosamine likely has resulted in at least some of the symptoms you're seeing at home. It can take weeks to months before you'll see the maximum benefit from the glucosamine, so addressing this with your vet would also be recommended. At her age and knowing her history of collapse and hip dysplasia, I'd talk to your vet about starting a regimen of canine-safe NSAIDs like previcox, meloxicam, rimadyl, etc. and also medication for pain, if indicated, such as tramadol, gabapentin, etc. These can greatly help a dog who is suffering symptoms similar to what Sally is exhibiting. The shaking before she collapses is suspect for both weakness and pain, although it does not sound like she's reached a point of vocalizing yet.

I would recommend looking at a few products for her, too, to help on the slick floors she has access to:

1) Paw Friction. This is a product that is applied directly to the pad to increase friction on slick surfaces and keep elderly and arthritic dogs from going down. It can be applied to all of the feet: http://pawfriction.com

2) High traction shoes for use as needed: https://www.chewy.com/ultra-paws-durable-dog-boots-black-x/dp/56634?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Ultra%20Paws&utm_term=&gclid=CjwKEAiA8dDEBRDf19yI97eO0UsSJAAY_yCSkWfn9viPfsuxYL_GUg57yPCuywBPRttmAWmiO84rnxoCf7vw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in, Deborah. How is Sally doing?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy