Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My wife has just bought two new kittens. we have two dogs

Customer Question

hi there,
JA: Hello. What seems to be the problem?
Customer: my wife has just bought two new kittens. we have two dogs existing ...jack russel and a maltese terrier.
JA: I'm sure russel feels you are doing your best. What is the matter with russel?
Customer: the terrier is not worried at all, the ***** ***** is obsessed by them! they are not scared of him, and he just follows them all teh time, watching them, hanging at the back door,
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about russell?
Customer: nothing wrong with the jack russel. he does like to chase rats etc, but so does the maltese.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 months ago.

I'm not seeing much of a problem as long as he doesn't think they're toys and try to bite at them or pick them up. If he's just following them around and interested, that's not a bad thing.

Be sure that you are supervising them and he's not overzealous about them. The newness will wear out eventually and he'll be used to the new additions.

Enjoy the new kittens, sounds like a busy house!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
That's fine, but how long will this last? It has been a few days now. I do scold him when he is obsessive and he ducks away, but then returns a couple of minutes later...
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 months ago.

It'll probably take a good month or two before the newness goes away.

Just try to find other things for him to do to occupy him that is more fun than the kittens. It's not an easy task, but that's how you need to redirect him.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?