Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

My dog is 13 years old and was diagnosed with addison's at 1

Customer Question

My dog is 13 years old and was diagnosed with addison's at 1 year old. she has a shot of percortin-V 1.5 ml every 25 days and 5 mg of prednisone every 3rd day. She has begun not eating on the day before she is due for her next prednisone. She doesn't want or give affection, she barely moves on that day. she just had blood work within 30 days and all levels were within normal range. What do you think we should do?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Ebon;y
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ebon?
Customer: It is Ebony. Not really.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 4 months ago.

Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 11 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue.

Many Addison's dogs need Prednisone every day. Also, over time, some dogs will need a higher dose of Percorten V. I would start giving the pred every other day, and then I would have the electrolytes checked on the day the next injection is due, before giving the injection, to see if a higher dose is warranted. It may not be, it may just be that every other day pred is the answer. Also- make sure your vet knows that the Percorten-V now has a generic version that is cheaper.

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Bonuses are not necessary, but are appreciated, as they go directly to me rather than to the website. Best of luck.

Are you there?

Oh, good, I see that you have seen my response. Do you have any questions for me? I would like to close the case, but I can't do that until I know you are happy with my answer or until you rate me. Please let me know if you have more questions, or if you are satisfied! Thanks! :) God bless.