Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

I have a six month old female pug and just noticed this

Customer Question

I have a six month old female pug and just noticed this morning it looks like she had a strange contact lens on her right eye. It has irregular borders bit is completely round right on the center of the iris. Her eye is teary but not really red. She doesn't seem to be in pain or uncomfortable.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the pug's name?
Customer: Roxy
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Roxy?
Customer: No, well... she seems to be itchy, been rolling around on the carpet more and kind of pushing herself around on her back sort of
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok, thanks
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It seems to have resolved in the shower...
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry to hear about Roxy's strange looking eye.

Does her eye seem to look like the dog's in the link below?

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRmojK5gQu9Upuq_Tsol4X7jH1FcYXI1wdiJqtQroT_C7VZoyuy

If so then her lens has luxated.

The lens normally sits in the center of her eye, behind the colored iris, and focuses light on the retina so she can see.

If the lens moves out of place luxates it can interfere with normal vision and block normal drainage of the fluids circulating in her eye, which can lead to glaucoma (increased pressure in the eye) and permanent loss of vision. In some dogs glaucoma occurs as a primary condition and causes the lens to luxate.

Here is a link to line drawing that shows a normal lens position and a lens that has partially luxated into the anterior (front) chamber of the eye. http://vetspecialists.co.uk/images/factsheetImages/Lens-Luxation.jpg

If her lens has luxated she should see a veterinary ophthalmologist promptly to check the pressures in her eye and be treated. The increased tearing may indicate pain and possibly that her eye pressure is already increasing.

If this resolved in the shower then it is likely what you were seeing is a strand of mucous on her eye. That is great news!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 month ago.

You are very welcome. I am much relieved to hear that this seems to be mucous. That is pretty normal with pugs and their large prominent eyes.