Kelly Jones
Kelly Jones, Dog Veterinarian
97758537

My dog has not eaten for 5 days. He only drinks water. We

Customer Question

My dog has not eaten for 5 days. He only drinks water. We took him to the vet and they said his blood tests are fine and his x ray shows nothing. They want to do surgery on him by tomorrow if he still has not eaten. I have given chicken broth, wet food, dry food, treats and nothing. I am so lost and am fearing my dog will die.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Halo
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Halo?
Customer: We recently moved. We have a backyard full of plants we didn't know about. I'm afraid he may have eaten a toxic plant.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Kelly Jones replied 3 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** am a veterinarian. I am so sorry to hear that he isn't feeling well. What is his name?

It is good to hear that his bloodwork is normal, often toxic plants will cause damage to the kidneys, liver or blood cells that would be seen on bloodwork. Some toxic plants include lillies, mushrooms, Sago palms and more. They will often have vomiting or diarrhea with toxicities as well.

Radiographs (x-rays) do not always show everything and it sounds like your veterinarian is going to perform what's called an "abdominal exploratory" surgery. This means that we visually check the internal organs and the gastrointestinal tract. There are times when the surgery yields a foreign body or other concerns that were not evident on x-rays.

I know how worried you must be, if it was my pup, I would be very worried too. Trust your veterinarian and write down any questions that you can think of to ask them. If he isn't eating, then something must be done to figure out the cause.

I wish you both all the best. I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, please provide a rating. If not, please let me know so l can continue to help you. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He just started eating some rawhide for the first time in days. He ate 9 of them. Is that a good sign of not needing surgery?

Potentially, I would discuss this with your veterinarian. Rawhide is not the most stomach friendly food, but I know you are trying everything. Maybe try to offer plain chicken and rice next?

How is Halo doing?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Kelly Jones