Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Lip thread. Ok so his main bump is this. The red probably

Lip thread.Ok so his main bump is this. The red probably came from trauma as he bit his lip (saw him in action) and it turned red right after the shots.Whilst monitoring the main bump I noticed an incidental finding that is now worrying me.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
First picture circled in two green circles.First is the new bump. Now I've always noticed there was a hard little bump under that area but not this big. It was explained to me that as it was next to the whisker follicle (circled in the smaller circle), the bump represents the normal anatomy that I could feel over his whisker spots all over his snout.However I noticed that it is bigger. And the rest of the shots reflect that.I was able to trace the size increase back to Jan 3 of this year so it was relatively recent. In fact it was present in the photos I showed you (we didn't notice it because we were so focused on the main bump; probably because the main bump occluded the small one growing)
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Here are the pics of the photos I've sent you prior leading back to Jan 3.You can see it slightly as that area wasn't the focus so the angle is off.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
here we see Jan 3rd with no bump.So...what are we looking at here? What is the concern?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
As well. The bump is mostly only felt. Only when I push the lip forward like I did with the photos do you explicitly see the bump. It's smooth and not even reddened. 3mm approx and round to oval in shape and is firm non-moveable.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I would assume the bump is also due to trauma.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Really?? I thought it looked relatively quiet as it's like a ball bearing under the skin.Now he has 3 bumps under the skin. The main one which is flat, the ooblong scar-like one, and now this one...All within that little area....Why would you think it's trauma when there is no sign of erethyma? (While understanding that erethyma comes and goes).Would trauma cause such a round bump like that to form under the skin? And remember he's always had SOME sort of palpable object in that area as it is besides the whisker follicle. But I just don't know if it's part of the whisker follicle now as it's a little further away.Also, I already noticed the bump earlier on in the week by feel but because of the fact that I THOUGHT it was something that was part of the whisker base.

Glandular tissues - epitrichial and sebaceous glands - can be traumatized and release their secretions into the skin rather than on top of the skin.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
basically this doesn't look dangerous at all...Will it go away?

Correct. I suspect so.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
here I was thinking it was the end of the world...Now the daily lip updates will be at angles to include this little bumpy.

Nothing that quiet that arises in 24 hours is serious.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Well no...I told you it was palpable for at least a week or two. Since Jan 3.The historical photos you can see they look the same as the initial photos I showed you. It's the angle that makes the bump disappear..It's just that it got LARGER or more noticeable to the point where I decided to talk about it with you recently.Additionally, like I said, there has always been SOME kind of object underneath the skin due to the follicle.

To be more succinct, nothing that has remained benign that changes in appearance in 24 hours is serious.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Look at this.Same angle (approx).Before: Jan 4
After: this morning

See above your last post.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok so basically this little smooth bump is of no concern and likely go away in time?

Correct...or, at least, diminish in size to its previous state.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Lip update.

The swelling appears a bit more pronounced. Still very benign-looking.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
is the verdict still the same? Im still wondering why it's not reddened yet protruding... if you looked at some photos where it ISNT facing the camera direct on, you will notice it is hard to distinguish if it's there or not.

There isn't much inflammation associated with the swelling; hence, no erythema. Yes, same verdict.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm just wondering when it's going to start shrinking...

We'll see...

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Look. Before after between this morning. 12 hours.

Perhaps a smidge smaller...

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
But you said that it was more pronounced?

I was under the impression that there were 12 hours between pictures.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There are. The pictures I gave you at the start of this thread were all from the evening (6pm).Then before after shots I gave you in just a few posts above depict the difference between the shots of this morning (6am) and just now (6pm).

I guess I'm getting bump blind. I don't see an appreciable difference between the 12 hours.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
what were you referring to when you said it was more pronounced? Similarly, what were you referring to when you said it was a smidge smaller?

To what i thought to be previous photos. To what I thought to be previous photos.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm confused because you are basically saying that you compared the photos in this thread to the photos from this morning right? That would be common sense. Hence the pronounced means that the bump this evening is larger than this morning.But you also just said the same thing about it being smaller?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
These before after shots are only 12 hours of difference.I displayed them in this manner to give you a better comparison to what we saw in the morning today.Hence why I'm confused as your answer seems contradictory (which I know is probably not the case; which is why I'm inquiring)

Thank you for those. I don't see an appreciable difference between the before and after photos. Let's move on now.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
But why won't it go away?! I'm sick and tired of monitoring these benign nothings...

You need to be patient. Not everything goes away as quickly as that mouth lesion.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Lip update.Smaller by a little bit has a red middle area now I think it's faint and covered by the flash so I included a video that I will link.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
https://youtu.be/GXSOkLeYKvMMake sure you restart your computer.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
https://youtu.be/FeoLZno8i_AThe red part isn't a red dot. It's like two red dots. Look carefully. But it's under the skin as shown in the video where I oscillate the lip to reflect the light off different angles for you to see.The bump is still very smooth and physically reduced in size from yesterday (both from eyeball and by photo)

Yes, that's true. Healing trauma.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Wait what's true? And what do you mean healing trauma? I HATE the red dot in the middle of the bump. Makes me think cancer.Did you get a chance to view the two separate videos in HD on YouTube?

Everything you said. The lip was traumatized by his teeth and now it's healing. The red dot doesn't represent cancer; just a focus of inflammation. Yes I watched the videos.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
is this less of a concern now?

Yes.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What was the level of concern prior to now?

Low.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
is it almost non existent now? I'll update you later today. Still bothers me that it's inflammed. Why become inflammed when the bump is reducing in size?

It's normalizing. It may have been traumatized once again.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Lip...Please look carefully. Video as well....https://youtu.be/MCFdheej5fc

The bump is diminshed. The area is healing.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Lip bump update.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
his other side. As mentioned. Red from his teeth. It's an indented red hole from his canine. Ridiculous.

Some inflammation remains.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no concern? And which inflammation? The bump or on the other side? And concern?

The bleb in IMG_1272.jpg and the erythema on the other side. Both are caused by his traumatizing his lips. I'm not concerned with either.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
besides the erethyma on the other side without the bump, the main bump that we were talking about, its not even there anymore, but the red dot is still there... is it still healing?

Yes.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Lip update.Bump looks completely gone. I'm scared to palpable it as it's already inflammed.

Looks good.

TY!!

Hi Vincent,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?