PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

I have a five year old male Yorkshire Terrier. For the past

Customer Question

I have a five year old male Yorkshire Terrier. For the past couple months he has been itching like crazy. He had fleas but they are gone now. His skin is itchy, red, and hot to the touch. His hair has started thinning out. He has a lot of new discoloration to his skin, especially in the folds underneath his legs but it's spreading. He has dandruff right now but that is very common for him at this time of year. Do you have any idea what it could be?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm really worried it might be cancer. I have also tried giving him children's Benadryl and it hasn't helped at all.
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Chloe, how much does your companion weigh?

How many milligrams of Benadryl were being given and how often?

What flea prevention are you using now and how often?

How often is he bathed and with what product?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My dog weighs about 7 pounds
I was told to give him 2 ccs of children's Benadryl twice a day so that's what I've been doing
I don't remember what flea prevention pill my vet gave me last month but he is due for another dose of it, although it doesn't seem to help anything
I bathe him every 2-3 weeks and recently I have been using the Oster Flea and Tick Shampoo with Oatmeal on his body and I've always used no-tear baby wash on his head

Excellent. It sounds like trying a different antihistamine may be in order. I personally don't like benadryl for dogs as it does not seem to alleviate their symptoms very well. Those dogs who benefit have very mild allergies. I would suggest using Zyrtec. Dogs weighing 7 pounds can receive a single 5mg tablet ONCE daily. You can keep up the bathing regularly as you are doing and need to stay on the flea prevention (it's not helping with itching because it's not indicated to do so, it only prevents fleas so something else must be used for itching and it sounds like he has environmental allergies and that's what he's suffering from right now).

If the Zyrtec does not work, talk to your vet about long term therapy from medications like atopica or apoquel. These are much better choices for intensely itchy dogs and a visit to a dermatologist would not be a bad idea given his history.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800