Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

My 6 year old shitzu/poodle mix was fine this morning,

Customer Question

My 6 year old shitzu/poodle mix was fine this morning, normal eating, drinking, peeing and BMs. We came home from work she was fine. Went outside and came back in, about an hour later u can tell a difference in her behavior. Almost like she was introuble behavior. Has not eaten. Followed her back out to see if she was going to have a bowel movement. And she had diarrhea. She normally is a bArker but no barking tonight. I asked her fav word "walk" she perked up went to the door, but not her normal reaction. I was able to get her to drink some water but from a syringe. No vomiting. ??
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sometimes tail up and wagging. Sometimes tucked away. No more diarrhea, just not eating and not her normal behavior. Could she just be not feeling well .?
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 3 months ago.

Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 11 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue.

Is she jumping up and down on things/furniture as vigorously as usual? Is she doing stairs as usual? Or is she less excited about either?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She jumped up on the couch to sit with me. Goes up and down the back deck steps, which are about 6steps. Walking to and from living to kitchen, following me as usual. But for her not to eat it's strange. Normally when I get home she's barking up a storm and excited to eat. It's the first thing I noticed. She did eat this morning
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My fiancé said she was outside into something in the woods, he yelled for her to come away from it, he does not know if she was eating something or not.

Okay, great, that's helpful info. I suspect we are dealing with a gastrointestinal issue rather than a neurologic issue, then. I would give 10mg of Prilosec (1/2 tablet of 20mg Prilosec) tonight or 1/4 of a 10mg Pepcid A/C tablet. Then offer a bland diet of boiled chicken breast and white rice for the next 24 hours or so.

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Bonuses are not necessary, but are appreciated, as they go directly to me rather than to the website. Best of luck.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I do not have Prilosec, can I give a small dose of peto?
Do u think it's just a GI upsets? When I gave her the water via the syringe she probably took a good 15ccs. No vomiting etc?

To be honest, it sounds most like back pain, but you say she's acting normally with her activity, which is puzzling. Pepto can help, just not as well as the other drugs. But you can try a teaspoon of Pepto if you do not have a pharmacy open near you.