Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I just a very thorough Complete blood count analysis on my 9

Customer Question

hello, I just a very thorough Complete blood count analysis on my 9 year old siberian husky..
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the siberian husky?
Customer: the results indicated a low phosphorus count of 2.2, a high calcium count of 13.1, Amylase of 247
JA: Where does the siberian husky seem to hurt?
Customer: and a high Globulin count of 4.0. He is not hurting,, I'm just wondering what these results implicate
JA: What is the siberian husky's name?
Customer: King
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about King?
Customer: I recently started taking him to a holistic vet...and we did a blood test and these were the results. The Vet said he was tested positive for Chronic exposure of the limes disease bacteria botella and that we should monitor him..focus on his diet and work on his thyroid, since they also detected something in his thyroid that could lead to something down the road I wanted a second opinion from another vet...
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I meant Lymes Disease bacteria Borrelia..his T4 count is 1.2 and his free T4 count is 13.
I want to be told the truth about my husky, not be told that he is fine if his results are saying something different. I literally just had to put my other Siberian husky down on November 30th. He ended up having Lymphoma, he was only going to be 8 years old so I am trying my best to not have to go through something similar with my other husky King. Please help!
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I added his lab results in a PDF format, under the added files tab**
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Is anyone going to respond to my question?
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 12 days ago.

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 12 days ago.

Sorry for the wait. I just logged on and saw this.

The high calcium and low phosphorous make me wonder about hyperparathyroidism. This is a condition where the parathyroid glands in the neck are over-active. They produce PTH (parathyroid hormone) which increases the blood calcium and decreases the phosphorous. It's typically seen in middle aged to older dogs. The diagnosis is made by running a parathyroid panel.

If this is the diagnosis, then treatment is by removing the parathyroid glands surgically (parathyroidectomy).

The other thing to rule out, is cancer. The most common cancers that increase the calcium are: lymphoma, anal gland adenocarcinoma and multiple myeloma. Part of the parathyroid panel also looks for PTH-rp (parathyroid hormone related peptide) that is produced by cancerous cells. If that is high, then we think of a cancerous process. If normal, then we can rule it out.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
a complete blood count is different than a parathyroid count correct?
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 12 days ago.

Correct. A CBC (complete blood count) is what checks the red and white cell counts. A blood chemistry looks at organ function and electrolytes. A parathyroid hormone checks the calcium, ionized calcium, phosphorous, parathormone and PTH-rp.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Did you see the attached lab results? Can you determine anything further or i still need to do parathyroid testing??
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 12 days ago.

You need the parathyroid testing. My guess is that it's primary hyperparathyroidism, but the test will tell you for sure. If it points to hyperparathyroidism, then get with a surgeon to remove the parathyroid glands.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Ok I relayed this information over to my Holistic Vet, i've been cooking for my dog for the past few months, do you think that he's not getting enough nutrients and this is causing the blood results? Could you recommend a very nutritious dog food for my husky because I don't know what to buy anymore....thank you for all of your answers I appreciate them
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 11 days ago.

I doubt this is diet related. That would be unlikely.

When picking a food, I usually recommend something that is AAFCO formulated. That's the agency that oversees diets. Personally, I feed my animals Iams. They do great on it. I have no issues with Science diet, Royal Canin, Purina, Eukanuba. The only diet I recommend against is Blue Buffalo. It's too high in protein for what our patients need.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I just ordered Origen senior for my dog, it looks like an excellent dog food, this way I know you'll be getting nutrients and the right amount of fat and protein. I'm going to be doing and ionized calcium test for hyperparathyroid. I'm hoping that this is the problem instead of cancer. It could also be the variance of range on this particular lab test is different and his results could be different on a different blood test.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thanks again, I will keep you updated!
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 10 days ago.

Origen is a good food. I have no problems with that company.

Let me know what the Parathyroid panel shows and I'll help with the interpretation as needed.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I took King for a parathyroid and ionized calcium test on Friday, so I am waiting for the results
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 7 days ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 days ago.

Good deal, let me know how it turns out.