PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My dog too died, he was 105 lb akita he had just had surgery

Customer Question

my dog too died, he was 105 lb akita he had just had surgery to repair broken leg due to osteosarcoma mass he was 13 years old he survived surgery stayed 4 days in hospital each day after 2nd day he appeared worst, they weren't taken good care of him twice on visits we found his head lying in vomit in elizabethan collar. they forget to give us his pain killer when we were discharged, he was in a lot of pain so I gave him more than prescribed tramadol dose of three 50 mg every 8 hours, I gave him four every 6 hours for 18 hour period, until we were able to get prescription for stronger pain killer he continued to get worst and died at home within 72 hours, I withheld antibiotics that 1st nite too I was worried he would vomit the pain medications. I'm just distraught over way the hospital didn't take good care and forgot his pain meds and if I gave him too much I realize he was like 101 in human years and lucky to survive surgery and was probably going to die from the cancer with in 3-4 months but every xtra day alive I felt he wanted
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Meghan Denney replied 5 months ago.
Hi I'm Dr Denney. I am
So very sorry for your loss. Cancer is a horrible disease. Did you have a specific question about your Akita? Have you spoken with your veterinarian about your concerns so they can address them and answer questions? I am
So very sorry. It sounds like your fur baby was very
Much loved.

I don't think your giving him extra pain medications or not giving him one dose of antibiotics contributed to his death. He may have had complications from his surgery. Have you spoken to your veterinarian yet?

I just wanted to check in and see if you had any further questions or if I can be of more help.

I am going to opt out and allow another expert to assist you.

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 5 months ago.

Checking in, Chili. We haven't heard back from you and I would like to help. How may I be of further assistance?