Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinary Associate at Acres Mill Veterinary Clinic
87969507

He is panting heavily even in cool weather, very hungry and

He is panting heavily even in cool weather, very hungry and thirsty, losing hair even thou it is cold. He has fatty tumors which they say are benign. He is a 12 year old yellow lab
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: A dog. Sorry
JA: OK. Problems with drinking can be serious. I'm glad you noticed it. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Flash
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Flash?
Customer: He has always been a very active lab which is unusual. Always wants to play ball. Still tries but it does not appear to be good for him. I cam remember if I mentioned that he is breathing very heavy- lots of panting and slobber

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? How long has this been going on for? Has she ever had bloodwork done?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Progressively getting worse over the last 3 months. No blood work that I can remember. He has always been very healthy

Okay thanks for the additional information. Based on what you are describing what is going on with Flash. There are a couple of thing that may be a problem. One with the panting and the losing hair a common issue that can cause that in older dogs includes a low thyroid or hypothyroidism. This condition can be diagnosed on labwork and be treated with medication. Another issue in older dogs could be an issue called Cushing's disease. This can cause skin problems as well and panting because the adrenal glands oversecrete steroids in the body. One last condition I would be concerned about would be laryngeal paralysis. This is when the vocal cords slowly become paralyzed, this results in panting because cooling becomes less effective when the vocal cords become paralyzed.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you.

You are welcome. Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns

In advance, Thanks for giving a rating! Ratings are how I receive credit for helping you today and help me better serve customers in the future.

If you need further assistance for this problem before or after rating feel free to ask a follow up and I'll be
glad to help.

Thanks Dr. Alleyne

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Seemed to be good answers. I was suspecting Cushings. I appreciate the timely response and help.

You are welcome