Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Our dog just recently came back from a stay in the kennels

Customer Question

Hi, our dog just recently came back from a stay in the kennels over the holidays and was looking a bit thin. He also seemed a lot less inactive than his usual vibrant self. It felt like something was wrong. We always take him to the same place and the lady says he pines for us and she struggles to get him to eat. I had a fairly large amount of oxtail stew over and gave it to him over the weekend thinking it will be a nice meal and help him pick up a bit. He ate it up and enjoyed it. On Monday when we got home from work, he was just lying on the grass. My husband rushed him to the vet who said it was poisoning and suspected a scorpion bite. He did what he could and put the dog on a drip but unfortunately he didn't make it. I'm obviously really sad and trying to understand what happened. Then I read that onions are toxic to dogs, I didn't know. Could it have been the onions in the stew that killed him? I've given him stew like this before. He didn't seem himself before the weekend so maybe something happened at the kennels. Or maybe it was an insect bite like the vet suspects. Knowing won't bring him back but I guess it will help me to find peace if I understand what happened.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Did they vet know about the stew consumption?

Was bloodwork performed on Monday?

Any vomiting or diarrhea witnessed?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi, no he didn't. I only learnt that onion is toxic to dogs when I was researching dog poisoning after he passed away. I would have never given it to him if I knew. The doctor strongly suspected a scorpion bite because of his symptoms and the noises he was making. I just wanted to process and understand what happened. My husband doesn't think it was the stew as he has given him stew with onions before. He is quite a big dog and from what I read they have to injest about 600g? Could it have been the stew?

I'm happy to help, but need more info (in particular, I need answers to the questions I posed, I'll list the ones addressed below):

Was bloodwork performed on Monday?

Any vomiting or diarrhea witnessed?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I don't think so. He was injected with all sorts of things and then put on a drip. He died in the night. I think whatever poisoning it was, it was too far gone.

It would be worth asking and, if so, obtaining a copy of the blood work. Bloodwork can give us a lot of information and can tell us if the stew might have been to blame. Feeding human food, laden with onions or not, is risky. Typically for a larger breed dog, feeding some cooked onions in stew wouldn't be expected to cause major symptoms for a few days, if it caused problems at all. I suspect something like pancreatitis may have been underlying for a few days with kenneling as this can come on with stress. The stew, if so, would have only worsened his symptoms and may have been the catalyst to him becoming critical and passing away. I would see if your vet did run bloodwork and, if so, see if you can post a copy to share with me. I'll see if I can help you further with that info.