Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I believe he got into something looks like plastic now has

I believe he got into something looks like plastic now has diarrhea and bloody stool?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bob and he is nine, seems to me all I can do is let it pass do you agree?
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Bob.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bob?
Customer: no I dont think so.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- Are you seeing the plastic in the stool?

2- Any vomiting?

3- Any other symptoms?

4- Any pre existing medical conditions?

5- Breed?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Some, its a soft plastic, dry heaving, does not seem to feel good no medical issues and he is a lab.

1- Is he eating and drinking?

2- Any vomiting?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Drinking but not eating and he is dry heaving.

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

When we put all of his symptoms together I am a bit concerned about a piece of plastic obstructed in his gastrointestinal tract. Unfortunately, on history only it will not be possible to determine if the plastic is obstructed or not, I am sorry. I would strongly recommend having him checked by your family veterinarian for x-rays with barium. I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination. If cost is a concerned I would look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I understand, thank you.

You're welcome. :)