Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

I have 2 golden retrievers with fleas. They have never had

Customer Question

I have 2 golden retrievers with fleas. They have never had fleas before ( ages 11 and 7). I applied advantage yesterday after bathing them and there are still living fleas on them. When can I reapply the medicine
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the golden retriever's name and age?
Customer: I should mention I sold my home and moved into an apartment. I think there is a terrible flea problem due to that
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the golden retriever?
Customer: No ...
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your dogs. There are two main considerations in these cases. The first is that the fleas may be resistant to imidocloprid - the active ingredient in Advantage. Many populations of fleas are now resistent to that ectoparasiticide. The second and perhaps more important is that new fleas may have found your dogs if you didn't also treat your premises. It's essential that the eggs and larvae in the home are also killed or new fleas will continue to jump on your dog. You can hire an exterminator or you can treat your premises yourself with an over the counter area treatment spray such as Siphotrol which contains an insect growth regular (IGR) which doesn't allow eggs and larvae to develop into adult fleas, thus breaking up the life-cycle of the flea.

Your vet has newer flea products to which fleas haven't develop resistance. Ask about products containing a different class of insecticide found in Advantage such as Bravecto, NexGard, Comfortis, and Vectra. Reapplication of Advantage should you wish to see if it still is effective after you've treated your apartment can be done as early as two weeks after prior administration.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you---we will be treating the apartment this weekend, but have no control of the outdoor landscaping and premises. Although we clean after our dogs many residence do not and I'm afraid I am fighting a losing battle. They get sick with comfotis, but will ask about the other treatments. Can I bathe them with a flea shampoo?

You can, yes. Most contain pyrethrin or other pyrethroids. Look for the one with the highest concentration of those insecticides. There are many brand names and generics available. I understand your logistical constraints. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I good. Will bathe tonight, and reapply in 2 weeks. If still having issues will visit the vet. thank you

Sounds good, You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.