Dr. Karing
Dr. Karing, Veterinarian
Experience:  General veterinarian with a special interest in internal medicine and emphasis on individualized care.
24928096

He just threw up black grit with almost unrecognizable bits

Customer Question

He just threw up black grit with almost unrecognizable bits of his breakfast.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: No, he's an italian greyhound and does throw up on occassion, but it's never nbeen black
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Enzo is 12
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Enzo?
Customer: No, he just had a check up the other day was pronounced healthy.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Karing replied 1 month ago.

Hi there,

I'mCustomerand I'd be glad to help with your question. I wonder if Enzo licked or ingested something outside in the yard or from an indoor potted plant that had dirt on it. I would also consider cat litter as potentially appearing black and gritty. Make sure to consider anything new in the environment that may be the source of black grit (yard treatment?). It must be something he ate as digested blood can look black but definitely not gritty. If the source remains undetermined and provided he is okay in all other regards ***** ***** to eat/drink well without any further vomiting or other symptoms, then there is no cause for alarm. I would monitor his stool to make sure you don't observe diarrhea which can occur from eating any not food substance that may irritate the GI tract.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful. Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if you have more questions or would like additional information. It is my goal to provide you with the most complete information possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating. If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Sincerely,

Customer/p>

Hi there,

I wanted to check and see how Enzo is doing and make sure you received my response. Please let me know if you require additional information.

Thank you,

Customer/p>