Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

My girlfriends dog(half pug half Coker spaniel) is acting

Hi my girlfriends dog(half pug half Coker spaniel) is acting very weird. She doesn't know if he swallowed a piece of an ornament, a broken tail because it's hanging oddly, or if it's his back because he's had back problems before. We're not sure what to do.

Hi there,

How is Scamp doing right now? Has there been any improvement in the last half hour or so? Can he walk around without an issue? Is he eating, drinking and toileting normally?

Dr E

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No improvements. He can walk but doesn't want to. He doesn't walk normal and his tail is down. He lays weird. On his side. He went potty about 1hour ago and all was fine. He hasn't drank or eaten anything. He is obviously in pain. He is breathing irregular.

Hi again,

Thanks for that. These symptoms are definitely a real concern here, and we need to consider all of the possibilities you mentioned, although it certainly sounds more likely to be related to his back if he doesn't want to move at all, and that could also explain why his tail isn't doing much here. You are definitely going to need to continue to keep a very close eye on Scamp, but if he is breathing irregularly now, and seems to be in pain, then there is no question that you should try and get him seen straight away.

If he hasn't settled within the next half hour or so, you should try and get him seen by your local ER vet. If he settles a little, then you will need to continue to keep a close eye on him. In particular, please keep a close eye on his mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Hopefully those parameters are all ok? If he doesn't settle in the next half hour - please do follow up with your local ER vet. Do you have any other questions?

Dr E

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

I am not with her. I am in another state. Can you please call her ***-***-****.

Hi there - no I can only chat here, but please feel free to relay messages if you need to.

Dr E

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok. She's going to take him to the ER. Thank you for the help.

No problem - good plan.

All the best,

Dr E