Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

He's in some sort of pain. A small growth on his rectum,

Customer Question

He's in some sort of pain. A small growth on his rectum
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Nori is his name. He's 14 years old. A toy poodle.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Nori?
Customer: Licking the area. Very thirsty all the time
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but I am quote concerned about Nori.

If he has a rectal mass that is causing pain and leading him to lick (an infection risk), then we'd need to have this checked for him urgently. Especially if he is drinking more too. The reason is because while we can see increased thirst from organ issues (ie liver, kidney, heart) and metabolic disease (ie diabetes, cushings, etc); we can also see this with a certain kind of rectal tumor know as the anal gland adenocarcinoma. This tumor actually can affect blood calcium levels and this triggers increased thirst. So, we'd really want to have this checked for Nori. If we address it while small, we can remove them safely (where larger masses cannot be). And if this is affecting his calcium levels then removing it can help with that too and ease his drinking. Of course, as we have his vet look into this,we would wan them to check a general geriatric blood profile to make sure none of those other organ issues are present. And of course, as they do this they can get him onto some strong pain relief too.

Finally, in regards ***** ***** for this lesion at the moment, if its open at all you can begin by cleansing this area 2-3 times daily with a mild antiseptic (ie dilute betadine, chlorohexidine, or salt water). Afterwards, pat the area dry and apply an OTC antibiotic cream +/- hydrocortisone cream. The former can help keep infection away and the latter can reduce inflammation and discomfort. As well, since we need to prevent self-trauma, after all this we can put an ecollar on your wee one to protect this from any more damage.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )