Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

I have a 9lb, 4 year old, shi-tzu who has suddenly started

Customer Question

Hi. I have a 9lb, 4 year old, shi-tzu who has suddenly started walking in a "c" shape. She isn't whining or whimpering and hasn't been vomiting. She is able to srand on her hind legs and scratch at my leg to be picked up. She will walk a couple steps normally and then almost curls her body sideways and trys to walk. She is eating and drinking fine.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: She has had no prior health issues
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Sally G. replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. When a dog walks like that it is usually due to pain in either the back or the abdomen. Because you do not mention any intestinal upset and she is eating and drinking then it would lean more to a pinched nerve in the spine also known as Intervertabral disc disease. This is a common problem for this breed.

I would make an appointment with your vet as appropriate anti inflammatory meds and pain meds will be needed.

If you cannot get her in today, then you can give a baby aspirin , make sure it is not ibuprofen or acetaminophen, every 12 hours with food. Keep her well rested with no jumping or running. Do not press on his back or try to maneuver it.

Here is more on IVDD

lower spine -this can also happen in the neck area.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/intervertebral-disc-disease-thoracolumbar-area-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Expert:  Sally G. replied 3 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

DakotaSouthFive