Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My pug ingested a small amount of methadone, Doro, 11

Customer Question

My pug ingested a small amount of methadone
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Doro, 11 months
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Doro?
Customer: We found 2 tablets of 5 MG partially dissolved but intact
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 5 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response and I will be right back!

Methadone is used in pets for pain management and depending on Doro's size likely you will not see any ill effects but always best to know what to monitor for. Dosage of methadone that we use in dogs is 0.2-0.3mg/kg body weight injectable and not used orally because of low bioavailability noted in dogs

Clinical signs to monitor for include panting, whining, sedation, defecation, constipation, bradycardia, and respiratory depression. Methadone tends to cause less sedation or vomiting than morphine.

Please monitor closely for symptoms tonight and if none seen then you should be just fine. Again always best to know what to monitor for and if you do note any of these symptoms then please seek a veterinary er tonight, especially with Doro being a Pug.

Please let me know how else I can assist you both tonight. I am online another 30 minutes

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other w