Dr. Karing
Dr. Karing, Veterinarian
Experience:  General veterinarian with a special interest in internal medicine and emphasis on individualized care.
24928096

My daughter's pug is not eating or drinking for 2 days.....

Customer Question

JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Finn
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Finn?
Customer: Not aware of anything else. The times that I have watched Finn, he is very active with good appetite and intake of fluids. I'm a physician and took care of my daughter for several days with a viral syndrome.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Karing replied 2 months ago.

Hi there,

I'mCustomerand I would be glad to help with your question about Finn. Failure to eat or drink for two days is serious. It is likely that Finn is dehydrated at this point which only complicates matters. My advice is to take him to a veterinarian for a physical exam as soon as possible. If day time hours are difficult due to your busy schedule, then consider an after hour emergency veterinarian. Based on physical findings, the vet will advise you on any diagnostics that seem necessary as well as whether or not outpatient treatment versus hospitalization is needed. Until you can get Finn to a vet, keep him inside near water and several dog food options (low fat, bland foodss ideal: chicken breast without skin or fat, turkey or chicken lunch meat). Monitor him for vomiting or diarrhea so you can report that to the vet. I would not suggest any over the counter treatments at this time.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful. Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if you have more questions or would like additional information. It is my goal to provide you with the most complete information possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating. If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Sincerely,

Customer/p>

Hi there,

I wanted to check in and see how Finn is doing. Were you abel to get him to the vet yet? Please let me know when you have a chance.

Thanks,

Customer/p>

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Karing