Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My Shitzu was chewing on a Combat ant trap that has been

Customer Question

Hi, My Shitzu was chewing on a Combat ant trap that has been laying somewhere since early Summer 2016 (not sure where she found it) She chewed off some of the plastic, all the white substance inside was meshed together, but she may have ingested some of it. She weighs roughly 12 lbs, and is about 4 years old. She is acting fine. In fact she just ate some of her dog food and drank some water. What should I do or look for?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Ginger. My Vet told me to contact a poison hot line.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ginger?
Customer: nope, she is healthy
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 5 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 5 months ago.

There are several types of Combat ant traps with different formulas.

Some contain sodium tetraborate or Borax, while others have indoxacarb or pyrethrins, while others have hydramethylnon, and some contain Abamectin B1. None of these are highly toxic for dogs, but she's small and all have different symptoms to watch for so it would be helpful if I knew which one the trap contained.

Do you think she ingested the plastic too?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I just spoke to my husband and he said the traps were expired, but he didnt want to waste them, so he put them out in our basement in September. He thought they were ant/roach traps...
No, there was plastic everywhere, I don't think she ate the plastic.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I believe Hydromethalnon is the main ingredient...it is a Combat Roach bait system....
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 5 months ago.

Very good thanks, I'll write up my recommendations, give me several minutes.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 5 months ago.

Hydramethylnon is a trifluoromethyl aminohydrazone insecticide. It is poorly absorbed from a dog's gastrointestinal tract, more than 95% is excreted in the stools and not absorbed.

The most common signs reported in dogs with oral ingestions of hydramethylnon are gagging and vomiting. But we only need to induce vomiting if large amounts (greater than 1 ounce of bait per kilogram of body weight or 0.45 ounces per pound of body weight) are ingested. That means if a 10 pound dog eats less than 4.5 ounces she should not get sick.

According to the manufacturer of Combat Roach Control System (1.65% hydramethylnon) a medium-sized (4.545 kg or 10 pound) dog would experience adverse effects from the bait itself only after eating an amount equivalent to 50 trays. The concentration in the trap she ate was even less, and she didn't eat the entire trap. That means she should not get sick.

I was more concerned that she ate the plastic, which can be very irritating to their gastrointestinal tract and could cause an obstruction, so I am relieved to hear that isn't a worry.

Dogs are attracted to these traps as they contain sugar as a bait too, and dogs have a sweet tooth. So I'd throw away the rest of the bait stations (if there are more), but she should be fine.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you so much for your advice and direction!
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 5 months ago.

You are very welcome, Happy New Year!