Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog has lost about 20 pounds over the past six months. We

Customer Question

My dog has lost about 20 pounds over the past six months. We have been to the vet over the past three months and have exhausted so much money with no answers. He has trouble breathing and they did a chest x-ray last Friday and his lungs were full of fluid. So much that they were not able to visualize if there were any abnormalities or masses. Fluid was taken off the lungs but they could not get all of it because it was so thick. Our dog was placed on three antibiotics and sent home. The vet advised that if the medicine did not help it was probably cancer. The dog is also now anemic. WBC was in normal range. He now refuses all food to include human food and is still having difficulty breathing. Not sure what do to next for my dog and am scared to take back to the vet to spend more money with no answers.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Cayla, I'm sorry to hear of this with Tucker. Regrettably, cancer is the most common cause of such profound weight loss, anemia, and a thoracic effusion in a 9 year old Rottie. Can you tell me, please, if a sample of the fluid were submitted to our pathologist to have its cells and physical qualities examined? A fluid analysis is the most expendient manner in which to determine why an effusion has arisen and how my patient might be addressed.