Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog has ecoli he is 6 yrs old 10lbs. It was detected

Customer Question

Hi my dog has ecoli he is 6 yrs old 10lbs. It was detected through a urine test. I do not want to give him antibiotics, rather go natural. Any suggestions? Previously before finding the ecoli he was on anitbiotics for a month.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Thank you. Smokey
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: Yes, this all started because he was having accidents at home, initially it turned out to be crystals in his bladder, which an xray detected he went on a prescription diet and had a study of the uretha done to eliminate blockage. Crystals disappeared and now we have the ecoli issue. I don't likrle antibiotics nor do i use them. I can only imagine what being on the more than a month is doing to his little body.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 2 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am very sorry to hear about your dog. Do you know if his urine was cultured before the first round of antibiotics?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It was not cultured. It should have been but that vet was more concerned about the crystals. I waited a couple weeks after the first round of antibiotics and got his urine tested again because he still had urgency to go, thats when we found the ecoli
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Not intrested in phone call. Thank you
Expert:  Jess K replied 2 months ago.

And what antibiotic was he on?

Expert:  Jess K replied 2 months ago.

Did he actually have stones in the bladder, or just small crystals in the urine?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Initally he was on clavamox for a month
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I do not want to keep him on anymore antibiotics if i do it will be almost 3 month of anitibiotcs. Id like a natural remedy
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The vet said he was crystals in his bladder stuviat crystals but they are no longer there.
Expert:  Jess K replied 2 months ago.

Ok. I will tell you that Clavamox is not the ideal antibiotic for that bacteria, which is why the infection likely didn't get cleared. I would highly recommend treatment with a more effective antibiotic based on sensitivity (if the vet did a culture and sensitivity with the urine sample) or choose something more effective with that organism such as Simplicef or Baytril. You can administer a probiotic at the same time if you are concerned about disrupting the GI bacteria with the antibiotic. Unfortunately there isn't a "natural" cure for a urinary tract infection, and you run the risk of the infection ascending from the bladder up to the kidneys if left untreated leading to pyelonephritis which is a much more serious issue, or you could develop bladder stones as a result of chronic infection. What we normally recommend is to culture first, start an appropriate antibiotic, culture in the middle of treatment to be sure the antibiotic is working (then we don't end up keeping them on an ineffective antibiotic for months), and then culture once completed to ensure the infection was truly resolved.