Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Mouth thread continued Let's try again. Basically a pigment

Mouth thread continuedLet's try again.Basically a pigment spot; no bump or anything.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I see a depigmented spot (leukoderma) as seen with vitiligo - an asymptomatic condition that is characterized by one or more macular areas of dipigmented skin or depigmented hair (leukotrichia). The lips are a common location.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He has more of it too. That's just one. As you know his mouth area is pigmented between spots of pink and black.So question is, is this abnormal and of concern? He's had spots like these for as long as I eleven
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Remember*

They're not "normal" but they're of cosmetic importance, only.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OH. So all the pigmentation of pink and black in the mouth and surrounding even used to extend to his front lips before they turned black a few years ago, all those are considered abnormal?Even his side lips where we looked at that bump was pigmented in the same way.I still remember wondering why his mouth looked like a cow when he was a baby.

Depigmentation of previously pigmented areas is abnormal. If the areas were never pigmented then they were genetically programmed to be that way.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Oh. Yes the area we are talking about right now where I've showed you the photo has always been there

Good.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Also what about the other way around? As mentioned, he used to have cow lips. Under his nose. I'm going to find a earlier photo.But as he aged I noticed his front lips get darker and darker. Is that normal?

Yes, it is.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Here it is. So why is this normal but not the other way around?

I don't understand your question. The depigmented spot is another example of leukoderma.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No I mean you said it's normal for the photo above. Where his front lips have blackened. But I'm wondering why it's abnormal the other way around (depigmentation).

I still need you to clarify what you're asking about. What's normal in the photo above?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The fact that his lips went from being in the before (spotted pink and black) to complete black.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I understand that DEpigmentation (the lightning of a previously dark skin surface) is abnormal
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
But I'm wondering about the onset of pigmentation as shown in the before after picture.

That's either genetically predisposed as seen with vitiligo (another common cosmetic pigmentary disorder) or perhaps post-inflammatory pigmentation. It's of no concern.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ah ok. I noticed it gradually getting darker about 3 years ago and it progressively over the last 3 years became complete black. I always just thought it was a regular process of aging

In some dogs, yes, that's the case.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It's not getting better....I took higher resolution photos than yesterday

That insignificant trauma should heal within a week.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It's a very clear shot. Clearer than before. It's not raised or anything. If I hadn't been keen on I I woulda thought that was normal or some kind of vessel anomaly

If ever I need photos taken, you're hired.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
But I mean...the trauma is located on an area where blood vessels are aplenty, so shouldn't this have healed by now?

Not necessarily. Primary healing can take 7-10 days.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ah ok. Scared me. Thought it wasn't going away. I hate how Simon gets lesions everywhere. It's either he gets them a lot or I just pay too much attention to these things.

The latter is more likely...

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok Simon is a very weird dog.Explain how the red spot was there for 2 days straight unchanged and then all of a sudden magically disappears without a trace...

He's a quick healer.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
White spot circled in green.Take a look at the photos. I'm thinking regular anatomy but I'm not the professional.May as well check the entire mouth too.

Nothing of concern although I would like to extract that black molar lower right arcade.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Me too. Unfortunately I'm doing everything I can to keep his teeth clean now. I wish I did it when he was younger. Now it's a trade off between his organs and his teeth...

I understand.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Front snout area hyperplasia. Just a general check for abnormalities.

Nothing new here.