Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Seems to have buldging eyes, rescue-- supposedly shinta enu

Customer Question

seems to have buldging eyes
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: rescue-- supposedly shinta enu and Australian shepherd mix-- about five years old -I have had her for 3 and one-half of those years -- weights
JA: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?
Customer: yes
JA: What is the's name?
Customer: cheyenne
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about cheyenne?
Customer: she weighs @50lbs
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 5 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about Cheyenne! Is this a new thing (the bulging eyes) with her, or do you feel she has been this way ever since you had her?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don't know, in fact it isn't real noticeable, but my daughter, who doesn't see her a lot noticed this morning. altho, I think she may be overweight. she is always hungry, but picky about what she eats
Expert:  Jess K replied 5 months ago.

Ok. It is hard to say then if this is an issue or her normal eyes!!! Some dogs do have more"bulging" looking eyes than others, but these tend to be breeds with smooshed in faces like pugs or shih tzu's. We can see eyes begin to look bulging as a result of glaucoma, or increased pressure in the eye. We have a special tool to test this pressure, so your vet's office can check for this issue. Other reasons could include decrease of muscle mass in general leading to the eyes being more prominent, but you would notice a change all over your dog (her legs looking thinner, etc.). If it was just one eye, we may also worry about a mass or tumor behind the eye.