Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My 11/2 year old dog Bella is eating cat poop and there is

Customer Question

My 11/2 year old dog Bella is eating cat poop and there is nowhere else to put litter box. What can I do
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** you for your question. This is a behavior that isn't all that uncommon. Personally, my own dog has had the exact same problem. Why do they eat the cat stools? They can't taste good can they? Probably the best way to stop this behavior is to make the cat stools not accessible. Providing a physical barrier is the best thing. At my own house, we use a baby gate to block off the room where the cat litter box is at. The cats can go under / over the gate, but the dog can't. The other option is to get a covered litter box where the cats can get in but it makes the dog access a lot harder. This isn't something that works all the time. One of my vet friends had a neat idea where the cat litter box was in a closet and the closet door was set up with rope to only open as wide as for the cat to slip in. The tie could easily be removed off the handle of the door when a person wanted in. To train them not to eat poop is extremely difficult as it would be like leaving a treat on the floor and working with them to absolutely leave it alone when you aren't there. It is just too tempting.