Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My about 11 months puppy Got her hands on several wild

Customer Question

My about 11 months puppy
Got her hands on several wild manzanita
Berries that I had collected. They r edible kind and eaten myself
She has been throwing up all night
With some white foamy and sticky warfs
Could u advise
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long ago did Shoto eat these?

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
not sure but about 2 hours ago. Berries were sitting on kitchen counter and she might have jumped up in night.
i tried to give her water but she is nto taking it now.
I dont see anything out of the ordinary on gums
Her belly didnt seem exhbit any pain
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Thank you,

Good, I am glad to hear that Shoto hasn't any of those urgent signs I noted.

In this case and given her signs, we'd want to treat her symptomatically to try to counter that nausea and soothe her stomach. To start, if she hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest her stomach for a few hours first), then you can consider treating her with an antacid. Common OTC pet safe options would be: Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has any health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. And I'd say that if she is too nauseous to keep this down, then we'd likely need her to her vet for injectable anti-vomiting medication to just get her settled.

Though if her nausea reduces with the antacid, we can then follow that with small meals of an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). These can be fed initially as a spoonful or two with 30 minute breaks to ensure she will keep it down. As she steadies, we can feed more with a view to weaning her back to her food once she is 100%.

Since dehydration is a risk with young vomiting dogs, we'd want to also keep an eye on her hydration. Further to checking for gum moisture, do make sure she doesn’t have sunken eyes and that she doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have her seen before this becomes an additional issue for her (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Overall, the main concern with her eating these is the nausea and GI irritation they will be causing. So, at the moment, we'd want to try supportive care to settle her stomach. If she cannot keep that or water down at any point, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration and bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- fluids to get her back feeling like herself.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )