Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

He has a tooth infection, Oscar 9, He is a 20 lb dacshaund,

Customer Question

He has a tooth infection
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Oscar 9
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Oscar?
Customer: He is a 20 lb dacshaund, I have human antibiotics just wondering if my amoxicillin would work
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Now the dilemma here is that often antibiotics are only part of treating tooth infections. In regards ***** ***** question, we can use Amoxicillin (More Info/Dose HERE) and usually will do twice daily for 7-14 days. That said, if we don't remove the tooth at the same time, there is risk that the infection will relapse after treatment. As well, we do sometimes find that our dogs get bacterial infections that aren't sensitive to this antibiotic, and for those we do sometimes need to use alternatives (ie Clindamycin). So, this would be an option but you'd need to make sure it settled and remained settled after you treated. Any relapse and we'd likely need Oscar's vet to remove the tooth that is acting as a focus of infection.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )